Logo

Driveshaft seals

Jbeener1

Hello to all. I am new to the forum and look forward to learning. I have a 1992 20 hp johnson (J20crend) that I am replacing all the seals in the lower unit. I took out both driveshaft seals and installed the new ones, I was then watching a video of the exact same motor doing the same things that I am doing but before he removed the driveshaft seals he took a measurement from each seal to the top of the seal opening hole then as he installed the new seals he set them inside the opening using the measurements. My question is should I have done this? I just drove them in until they were seated. Thanks for your help

Yes try that too. Gotta couple beers?
Now, for the seal/seals, you can look to see if there is a mark on the drive shaft where the old seal has been riding and I often try to place the seal or seals so they will rub on an area alongside the old wear marks. If there is any pitting on the shaft then it is better to set the seals a little deeper so they will avoid the pitted area. If there is no substantial marks on the drive shaft then just about any position should provide a good seal replacement job.

Last edited:
Back