Logo

Draining a VST on Honda BF50D

Winter5470

I have a Honda BF50D and am going to change the high pressure filter and drain the VST this weekend. I can easily reach the set screw without removing the lower cowling. But the drain hose will go up and over the lower cowling before draining into a glass jar. Will that minor rise in elevation affect the ability to drain enough to worry. I would rather not remove the lower cowling.

Also, any hints on changing the HP filter. It loos like there is a small drain screw to relieve the pressure then 3 screws to remove the cover. I ordered a new O-ring as well as a filter.

Thanks
Kurt

To drain the vapor separator, you need to back out the screw and raise the engine up. Leave it up to drain. It should tell you this in the Storage section of your owner's manual.

You are on the right track for the high pressure filter. The bolt that is in the cover is the pressure release....AKA... connection for high pressure fuel gauge. Remove the three screws and the cover comes right off.

easy peazy

Mike

Mike - on my 225 I've never raised the engine to drain the VST. Should I be doing that? Normally I just activate the key switch for a few seconds and let the HP fuel pump pressurize the system then open the set screw with the engine down.

I think the manual on the 225's says to open the drain, raise the engine...then when the fuel starts flowing lower the engine.

I am lazy...I use a spare fuel bulb and open the drain and put the bulb on the drain hose and start the flow by squeezing the bulb.

Whatever works and gets it drained.

Mike

I drained mine yesterday with no problems. On the BF50D if you tilt and turn the motor the lowest point is the drain hole so everything WILL drain out. No water or debris was in mine :)

Now I will tackle the HP filter.

Back