Logo

DP-A Question

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

after boating all weekend pulled boat onto trailer and took home.

I noticed a little bit of gear oil on the bottom of my driveshaft bellow and it dripped onto the top
of my exhaust bellow. driveshaft bellow is empty and dry on inside(from what i can hear). also
noted a little bit of play at the top of my steering helmet when moving the drive port to stern by
hand. i know this is 2 seperate issues but any ideas what to look for??? thanks

If oild was dripping from the drive shaft bellows, it's time to replace them for sure.

Drain the drive gear oil, and perform a Pressure/Vacuum "leak-down" test..... Leak-Down being a key point here.
Rotate the prop shafts and eccentric piston while doing this.
It may be time for a re-seal!

The collar steering fork bushings need to be replaced, and don't forget to replace the "V-ring" seal.

This is user friendly for the mechanically inclined person.

Ricardo,

thanks for your usual fast responses. yeah i do know i need new bellows. its been 4 years since replacement.
i was gonna try to hold off till the end of the year cause it wont be used but a few more times this year.
as far as the steering helmet, i found the 2 bushings needing replaced and seal. now i was gonna have someone
do my bellows because time doesnt allow me to do this year. would it be just as easy for them to fix the bushings
on my steering since the upper drive will apart for bellows?? as far as re-sealing the drive, just as an estimate from
you so i have an idea. what would you charge to change bellows,steering bushings,re-seal drive,and change aft pds bearing and service front pds bearing. and re-assemble??? just so i have an idea. thanks again for your time

I had collar stearing fork bushings and v-seal replaced this spring on my 91 DP-A. Water was slowly dripping inside the transom..and vp mechanic said its smart to change bellow since upper housing was off anyway and bellows were 2ys old some dry rot...if your spindle arm connection to the the steering fork connection is rusted/corroded like mine was, it was a bitch for the mechanic to get off..last resort was heat and chisling out the bolt in the spindle arm. I also found tare in my exhaust bellow so that was replaced too with all new clamps and gear oil change and pressure test....bill was $575 of course marina marked up the price 10% since I brought in a VP mech I trust. What Riccardo said to me was right, you will never get all the slop/play out of this drive even with new bushings...its better but not by much.

Back