Logo

Does stator have a high and low speed coil

ram

" I have a 1988 or 89 Mercury

" I have a 1988 or 89 Mercury engine. It will either run at 3000 rpm or wide open. I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the stator. The manual states that the ignition system on mercury engines is either a thunderbolt phasemaker or a thunderbolt breakerless ignition system. According to the manual, My 1988 or 89 35hp engine uses a breakerless ignition system.It states that this system uses a stator with two coils. It does nor refer to the coils as high and low speed, but the manual does refer to the stator coils on the phasemaker system as high and low speed. I believe the stator coils for my system are also high and low speed, but this is not indicated in the manual. I feel like the engine may have a problem with the high speed stator coil if it is in fact a high and low speed stator coil.Does anyone feel like I am on the right track? As I stated earlier, the engine will usually start with the help of the fast idle lever. But, it will only run at about 3000rpm regardless of where the throttle is positioned. Sometimes, I will be running along and all of a sudden it will kick in and run wide open. The response is instantaneous and there is no delay. Also, I may be running full throttle at 5400rpm and all of a sudden I slow down to 3000rpm. It's always one or the other.The slow down is immediate as well and this is what makes me suspect an electrical issue. "

" I think you are close to the

" I think you are close to the problem, however 3000 rpm seems to be a bit high to go only on the low side. i had a similar problem on an 86-115 hp merc. and around 1800 was all i could get, but a 35 hp may be different...find a good shop with a guy that is over 45 yrs. old and has the proper diagnostic tools. "

" Ram,

Yes the stator on yo

" Ram,

Yes the stator on your engine does have a high and low speed winding, but I agree with g.reed's comments.

If the low speed winding is faulty, starting is usually difficult and the engine will not run below 1200-1500 rpms.

If the high speed winding is bad, the engine won't go above 2500-3000 rpms.

When you say that the engine runs at 3000 rpms no matter where the throttle is positioned, does that mean it runs at 3000 rpms even with the throttle at the idle position?

Tony "

" Tony, I meant that I can pus

" Tony, I meant that I can push the throttle forward to a point that the tach reads 3000rpm.As I continue to push it further, it doesn't increase anymore than 3000rpm. By the way, it does idle very roughly and I have to raise the fast idle in order to start the engine.I have since discovered what I believe may be a discrepancy in the manual. I thought that my ignition system was the breakerless one. But, I am having trouble removing the flywheel and haven't been able to confirm this. The manual states that it should be the breakerless sysytem according to the year it was made. However, the wiring diagram indicates a red and blue wire available to perform a stator chack. I cannot find a blue wire anywhere on the engine. It is all original equipment. "

" Also, can anyone advise me a

" Also, can anyone advise me as to what type of flywheel puller to use to remove the flywheel from a 1989 35 hp mercury with oil injection? "

" Ram,

Your ignition should

" Ram,

Your ignition should definitely be breakerless.

It sounds like the stator is bad.

You can use any type of puller that you can attatch to the flywheel hub. The hub on your flywheel might have an inner thread for the Mercury puller to screw into, but you can remove a few of the screws that secure the flywheel to the hub and attatch any puller to these screw holes.

Tony "

Back