Logo

Does bad ignition coil causes low compression?

phabej

Does a bad ignition coil causes low compression? I have a 50hp mercury 500 outer board that has low compression on all four cylinders. When I pulled out the sparkplug wire from the ignition coil it was burned and black particles are coming from the ignition coil. Could this be the reason for the low compression? The compression were good before and the motor was working fine before. But suddenly the motor stopped and I had tried starting it several times and couldn't get it to start. I think I fried the ignition coil but not sure if that also causes the low compression. Would replacing the ignition coil fix the compression issue?

Hi...

I have an 85 HP Mercury; similar to yours. Great motors!

I was reading your other thread about your lower unit issues. Did you ever get all that resolved and get this engine out on the water running?

How did that go? Was it running well at that point? For how long? What caused you to take a compression test on it then....and how did you perform that test?

I ask these questions because many times having a bit of history on an engine helps to diagnose current problems.

Summer's comin' and we need to get you on the water !

Back