Logo

Does a 1986 110 VRO have a alarm on start up

Nick168

I am installing a Piezo alarm from RadioShack .. On a 1986 Johnson 110 vro, does the alarm beep once in the acc position ... I have 2 purple wires on the + and one tan on the neg.. The tan wire runs to the back to the motor for the alarm ... And the purple is running to the "A" on the IGN and the other purple seems to be running into the harness somewhere ... And how do I test the alarm

Key ON, engine NOT running. Ground out the heat sensor TAN wire protruding from the cylinder head. The horn should sound.

The TAN wire should run from the "A" terminal to one of the slide on terminals of the horn, then from the remaining horn terminal to the engine.

If the horn only has the two terminals and no other wire...... it will not beep when you turn the key ON.

I have a two wire alarm... Is it possible to set it up for a beep during pre start.. when you say "A" do you mean the terminal on the ignition? I have bypassed my VRO by unplugging the connector from the VRO unit , disconnecting the black wire from the oil box , and plugging up the oil line .. Will this affect my alarm or any configurations..

thanks

Last edited:
No, a 2 wire horn cannot be set up to beep when you turn the key ON. That is reserved for an electronic horn that has a separate ground wire... in short, a very expensive piece of plastic!

Yes, when I spoke of the "A" terminal, I was referring to the ignition switch. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

The two actions you have taken pertaining to disabling the VRO setup will not interfere with anything else. See below for the checklist to go the premix route.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks that helps out a lot!
to ground out the Tan wire coming from the block how would this be done .. Do you pull out the wire from the block or ground the wire at the red connector bundle ..

Thanks

Thanks that helps out a lot! To ground out the Tan wire coming from the block how would this be done .. Do you pull out the wire from the block or ground the wire at the red connector bundle .. Thanks

NO, you don't want to do that! Simply slide back the insulating sleeve that's covering the connection and ground it out to the powerhead/block anywhere handy... OR... if a plug in connection, simply unplug it temporarily and ground out the wiring harness end to the powerhead/block.

Back