Logo

Do I need a special tool to replace the 2 crankshaft seals?

Crazy4boats

Had oil coming out of the starter and front clear tube. Took the day and removed the power head. Had oil under the power head. 2002 130 hp. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I'm surprised that no one has responded to your post. I've never worked on one of these and I don't have any service info to consult. Have you figured out what you need?

My experience is that, yes, a seal driver is commonly needed to get a good install on these types of seals. I have fabricated many drivers over the years so that might be something you could do if necessary.

All I can garner from looking at the parts diagrams is that you might need to do the crankshaft seals AND the oil pump seals to get a reliable repair. But I don't know for sure.

If I had the powerhead off on one of this age I would take the opportunity to inspect the pump for sure.

Also wanted to mention the three zincs you can get to along with what looks like a water pressure regulator for the block.

Sounds like you have some mechanical chops or, at the least, you're very bold.

Anyway, I hope you can find what you need to get the job done.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply jgmo! I’m just very bold….. I’m in the process of getting the flywheel off and have a feeling with the amount of oil above the flywheel, that the oils coming from the bolts in the block above the flywheel. Seals look good. Can’t see how all that oil would get pass the flywheel and up through the starter.

Just pure speculation here but I would think that if the rear main seal (or anything else) leaked oil into that dish shaped oil pump cover the flywheel would then act as a crude impeller inside the enclosure and sling it to the outside. That would provide enough "flow" to push oil up inside the starter housing.

But you're there and I'm just guessing so I'll leave you to it.

Please update as you go. Knowing what happened and what it took to fix it might help a bunch of folks.

BTW...another item to explore while you're in there that gets an
"honorable mention" would be that PCV contraption. By this time it's probably pretty coked up and could cause problems if you don't make sure it's clear and functioning properly.

Good luck.

Tu again! I read another thread about this and a gentleman tore the engine apart and changed the seals, put it back together and it still leaked. Took it apart again and this time removed the flywheel to see it was leaking from the block through these oil sealed bolts (6 of them He was nice enough to post pics.) So upon reading his story of woe, I’m gonna see if mine is leaking from there also. If not, Ill change the seals and pray. Just don’t no where that much oil would be coming from. Gotta look for that PCV also. Don’t remember seeing it in the service manual.

Hi,
Not sure I'm understanding but items 15 and 16 in the link below are the pump seals.

Items 11 and 12 in link below are the crankshaft seals

As to my opinion, I recommend changing them since you're there although, I also think you're wise about looking into those bolts the guy posted about. I would change those too if I had come this far.
It all falls under a heading named:
"How Many Times Do I Want To Take This Apart" ;>)

If that's wasn't what you were referring to, apologies.

Hi,
Not sure I'm understanding but items 15 and 16 in the link below are the pump seals.

g

As to my opinion, I recommend changing them since you're there although, I also think you're wise about looking into those bolts the guy posted about. I would change those too if I had come this far.

No, I don't think just changing the lower crank seal is wise at all. That one pump seal, the black one, looks pretty tore up to me and the other one (red) is sitting in a bunch of mud. I mean, for $12 a seal you'd take a chance on them leaking? I wouldn't.
And, from what I see, none of them are hard to CAREFULLY remove and install. Well, maybe the upper crank seal will need a driver with a deep throat but the other three you could probably install with a 2x4 if you had to. (kidding)
I'm sure Harbor Freight sells a cheap driver set that will work and PVC pipe has been custom driver material for me many times.

Since you're a rookie I'll also warn you about inspecting the areas where those seals wipe. Especially for that black pump seal.

I’m sorry, i didn’t text it right. I meant the lower #12 and not the upper #11. I was gonna change the oil pump seals also. Thanks again for all your help and advise! Should I get all new gaskets also?

I do recall a few years ago someone(probably hondadude) advising that the oil or water gallery plugs under the engine block on the BF130 are susceptible to leaking, & should be replaced or resealed if the power head is removed for whatever reason.

Bob

Hondadude is my all time favorite on this site! If HE said it, then it should be done.

Yes, get new gaskets and seals and file the small expense under
"Cheap Insurance".

I do recall a few years ago someone(probably hondadude) advising that the oil or water gallery plugs under the engine block on the BF130 are susceptible to leaking, & should be replaced or resealed if the power head is removed for whatever reason.

Bob
Will do Thank u

Hi,

Never again……

Back