Logo

Distributorless ignition

stoner

Contributing Member
Hello. I installed the pertronix unit last season and (finally) got it working. Last fall when it was "moisty" I had problems to get the engine started. It backfired and was a real hard starter. I sprayed some electrospray on the ignition wires, distributor cap (on and in it) and the engine started right up. I found out this spring the same thing a little moist and I have to spray.
My question is have someone tryed distributorless ignition like msd or electromotive xdi?

Many recent marine engines use a distributorless ignition. Retrofitting and older engine is probably not worth the expense and trouble when the distributor is working just fine. The main advantage of the distributorless ignition is the reduction of moving parts and their inherent wear and tear. The Pertronix goes a long way in making the ignition almost as good as distributorless.

I was just thinking that if I was using distributorless ignition I got a better starting engine. Is the distributorless ignition ment for automotive use or what? I think the distributor cap is the problem when it gets moisty. Someone tryed to convert? I know it`s expensive on these old engines but if theyre good so what...

Back