Logo

DF90A 1-2 fault code

Andoshan

I bought a used 2014 DF90A that's been sitting for a while. Upon start up im getting fault code 1-2 which the internet suggest is a Shift Position Sensor(SPS) fault.

Things I've checked:
- Physical look at the outboard and it appears my year model does not have a SPS.
- The wiring diagram for the ECM in the service manual, there appears to be no pinout for a SPS
- Looking on Suzuki Precision Marine there is no part number for a SPS for my year model outboard

I'm waiting for a diagnostic cable to come in the mail. So I can confirm if in fact it is a Shift Position Sensor code.

In the mean while would anyone have any other suggestions?

Have you tried checking the gear shift linkage and cable for any signs of wear or damage? Sometimes, issues with the linkage can mimic a Shift Position Sensor fault. It's worth inspecting closely to rule out any mechanical issues before relying solely on the diagnostic cable.
@tunnel rush, do you know where is the problem?

@erwatery with the engine running it goes into foward neutral and reverse fine. There doesn't appear to be anything abnormal with the shift linkage/clutch lever. Goes in and out of gear fine.

@racerone Yes correct there is a neutral switch on the outboard and I believe also in the control box. When the key is in the ON position and in Neutral pin 7 on the ECM should read approx 12v and when in gear pin 7 should read 0v. I will test this tonight.

However the fault code for an issue with the neutral switch should be 3-3. I am getting code 1-2, but worth a try I think.

@William01 Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

However I believe from 2011+ the DF90A no longer came with the Shift Position Sensor pictured in that manual.

I have attached a photo I took of my clutch lever where the SPS should be if it had it. However as you can see it is not there.

I have also attached a screenshot of the ECM pin out. You will notice there is no pin out for a Shift Position Sensor.... Why is the ECM giving me an error code for a sensor it doesnt even have!
(I've checked the ECM part number and it matches my year model outboard).

P.S I've also checked the neutral switch as per guidelines in the manual and there was no issues. Pin 7 at the ECM gets 12v when in neutral and 0v when in gear as it should be.

Attachments

• 20240219_175744.jpg
    20240219_175744.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240219_142822_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_142822_Chrome.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 5
Do you guys know with the suzuki diagnostic tool if I will be able to disable the Shift Position Sensor?

If so, could the reverse be true? Could it have been possible the previous owner of the outboard at some point used a disgnostic tool to enable the Shift Position Sensor. As such because the Outboard does not have a Shift Postion Sensor it is throwing a code.

I'm used to playing with aftermarter ecu's for cars and if you enable a sensor that the car doesnt have you'll get a check engine light as the ecu thinks the sensor is broken.

I think this has to be it...

Back