Logo

*DESPERATE* 2000 johnson 115 2 stroke problems.

Aerospace05

Hello everyone my name is Jonathan and I am new to the forum. Im really desperate and need some serious advice that would be SOOO appreciated. I have a 2000 model Johnson 115 2-stroke that is really giving me some major headaches. Ok here are the
FACTS: Recently it started just gargling, cutting out over 2000RPMS
I figured out if I idle around the lake under that 2000rpms for about 20 minutes it would run perfectly fine all day until it was time to launch again the following day wherein the whole process was repeated. I parked the boat in preperation for the winter and left her alone until the spring came. Once Spring arrived, I did all my performance test at home, via the water hose paired with my muffs. She performed flawlessly. Cranked right up, idled nicely and I concluded it was time for a lake test. Got to the lake passed the no wake zone opened the throttle and BAM same exact thing. Sputtering around the 2000rpm range. So I idled around for about 20 minutes and she took off like a rocket! But this time it was short lived and I was back to sputtering around after only a few minutes. So I went home and pulled all four carburetors off, not a single jet was clogged basically the carburetors and all its inerards where very clean. The inline fuel bulb stays firm unless the boat was sitting. Pumping it (which isnt much pumping because its firm and hardly squeezable)while the boat is actively sputtering does nothing. Oddly NOW it seems the longer I idle around the longer it will run at full capacity. So if I idle around for an hour she will run great for about 10 minutes. Please can someone help me with this. Fuel filter good, fuel bulb good, carbs very clean BUT I noticed my carb bowls kinda deforming and not getting good contact with with the gasket towards the center. A few FURTHER questions, Could a vacum leak in the carb bowl be causing this sputtering under load? Could I not be getting enough spark to burn the extra fuel that's flooded into the cylinders at full throttle? And why is it that after idling around for awhile it runs fine? I cant afford a boat mechanic but im very capable of performing the work i just need some direction. Please and help would be so appreciated. This is my first boat and I love fishing and being on the water more then anything in the world. Of course if i had the financial means i could just buy another boat but that is not an option. Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Areospace.... When entering a looooong write-up, break it up in smaller paragraphs for easier reading by us older fellows. Those long paragraphs have a tendency to have it all flow together.

Back