Logo

Desired compression reading

livemusic

Hello, this pertains to my 1997 Tracker (Mercury) 40hp 2-stroke (4 cylinder) on my Tracker Pro Team 17, which is, obviously, 17 ft long. What should the compression be? I am reading 85-90 lbs on all 4 cylinders. Seems low but I don't know much. I borrowed a friend's compression tester, which is a Harbor Freight tester. Not sure how reliable this is but all cylinders read about the same.

I checked this because it was suggested after I had a lot of trouble starting. I suspected foul gas. I have owned it a few years and have only used e-free gas but it has sat up for multi-month stretches here and there, so, fuel could be an issue. I can only crank it after I advance the throttle in neutral. I finally figured that out, lol. I also have to choke it each time it wants to die. Once I luck up and get it going to where it isn't going to die, it moves along nicely and then after it's warm, I gas it and it runs flawlessly at top speed of 30mph.

I bought this used from an older gent and it's in great shape cosmetically but according to his son, he let it sit unused for very long periods of time and he told me they changed the water pump and all the fuel lines and tuned the carburetor, might have done more to carb than just tune it, I don't recall... all of that to get it ready to sell. But I see indications they got into the motor cuz I see that red seal/gasket stuff and that does not look like factory work to me but again, I don't know for sure. Point being, they might've done more internal to the motor than what he told me.

I just put new plugs in it. Not a big change. I also de-carbed it, ran Sea Foam through according to a video I saw, lol. All of this, not a big change but it has def gotten a little better. I also advanced the idle but now the screw it maxed out. It's fishable but I need to get this motor purring even if I have to take it to a mechanic.

What does 85-90 reading on compression indicate if anything and is it bad?

Last edited:
Try a different compression gage before you condem it. It is even that is a good thing which leads me to believe the gage is suspect. Compression should be 125-130 psi, she is a cross flow design. I have one of these engines from new in 1995 and that what the compression is on that one.

Try a different compression gage before you condem it. It is even that is a good thing which leads me to believe the gage is suspect. Compression should be 125-130 psi, she is a cross flow design. I have one of these engines from new in 1995 and that what the compression is on that one.

Yes, as I said, I am not confident in the HF tester. If the readings are correct, what could that indicate and what would be a fix or is there?

If they didn't "tune the carburetor" in the water in forward after warming it up the low speed is set wrong. Set the low speed needles at 1 1/2 turns out then run it in the water in F and see how it idles, turn the needles in or out slowly to smooth it out. Where is the red sealer stuff?

food ..for thought .........i have a 1985 235hp v6 evenroude ....had this for many years on a 21 foot trophy bayliner ......she starts and runs like a champ ..lots of power .....i check the compretion every spring before the first start up with ( 2 ) differant testers ..one screw in and one push on over the plug hole ........75 to 80 lbs across the board .....the way i see it is lower compretion is fine as long as its even ..good plugs ..good two cycle oil and good gas ...

Back