Logo

Dead on river :(

adam 68

was on the river driving full throatle all of a sudden started losing power(rpms slowly started dropping)till it died and now i cant get it to run. It starts but only runs for about 15-30 seconds and dies. anybody got any ideas. ive replaced plugs wires coil started(causse i burned it up) was getting a little water in the oil so i did a head gasket job and intake manifold gasket (ended up water was getting in through intake manifold gasket) so that part is fixed but now cant keep her running. i have checked the timing it is good compression in all cylinders is good and spark is good at all plugs.....looking for a starting point here

I would start at the oil pressure sending switch,jump the 2 wires, but we have no clue year of your boat, engine size, like looking for a needle in a hay stack without correct info.

Gosh you did everything but replace the carburetor. I think if you had started with that you'd likely be out there right now, at full "throatle"
My guess is that some crud got into the float bowl and clogged something.

Then it sounds like the pump isn't running; can you hear it turning on and off by the relay? Or did you leave it off? If you only wired 12 vdc from the starter solenoid it will only pump fuel while the key is in the start position. The oil pressure switch supplies 12 vdc after it starts.

Start at the tank and work your way back.

Or narrow it down start at the filter in the fitting that enters the carb, and work your way to the tank, and then run it on a external tank of fresh fuel.

Or just try to run it on a external tank of gas. You did check the fuel pump, that it's staying running or is it cutting out or tripping a fuse ?

Please no more i changed or cleaned the filter last year, think, think, think, it's like saying i changed my underwear last year.

lol well i havent changed my underware since last year lmao. ok guys im gonna check this stuff out today ill be working on it all day hopefully soemone wiill be on here today if i got anymore questions

Actually I start at the carb and work my way back. Find out if it's even a fuel problem first. Spray some starting fluid down the carb and see if it wants to start up easily. Then if it does, find out if the carb is getting fuel. If it is then your carb is the problem, if it's not then work your way back. Fuel pump next, anti-siphon valves, clogged fuel pick up screen, etc. If it doesn't want to kick at all with the starting fluid, then do a compression test FYI. If comp is good then at least you've narrowed it down to timing or electrical. This is my little check list if my motored vehicles don't start. Feel lucky you don't have EFI. Could be lots of things but eliminating the problems is what you have to do.

Back