Logo

D3-160 Twin Engine - spacing.

moresparks

Regular Contributor
Hi, hoping someone can help.

I am repowering from 2 failed petrol sterndrive engines and being offered nearly new D3-160 engines complete with SX sterndrives. Engines are from 2007 but have less than 100 hours, so a reasonable proposition.

Now.. the old engines had a small footprint and the Transom cut-outs were cut to suit. Other models of my boat had different engines and the cut-outs were wider – so it is do-able.

If I use the original cut-outs I will only have 66mm between the drives.

I thought the minimum distance between the 2 may be 100mm but cannot be sure.

Does anybody know what the minimum safe distance for the twin D3-160 installation is?

Alternately, where I can download the installation manual please. Volvo Penta locally only wants to provide installation manuals to their engineers. No point considering the engines if they will not fit!!

BTW, I know all about the pitfalls and work involved!!

Thank you in advance.

I don't know that there is a specified 'safe' distance between them...you'll need at least 26 inches between the centerlines just to have them sit next to each other...I'm sure maintenance will require even further separation...I've seen many custom installations that were tight and a major PITA to work on...

Just looking at the sales sheet, they are computer driven so you'll have to have a VP dealer do any troubleshooting as their system is proprietary.

I'd also be a bit skeptical on the 'reasonable' aspect....they've been sitting for a while and only have 100 hours.....your money, your call.

Many thanks for your response.
Just an update ... After an initial inspection, the engines look in first class condition with only 20 hours run... BUT ... they have been sitting for a while, so will need careful checking. As for the spacing, it looks like a tight fit for my locker and service items would be difficult to access. On top of that, the SX Sterndrives look as though they have serious corrosion as well as possible gear ratio change - possibly 2 new sterndrives and props. So, although it looked a good idea to start with the hassle and cost would probably not be worth it.
I will keep looking, but a brand new modern fuel efficient V8 looks an attractive proposition added with a bow thruster and "kicker" for emergency "get you home"

Back