Logo

Cylinder Block Drains- can I delete them?

ptudozer

we boat in north florida, and do not get much of freezing. Boat is stored indoors in climate controlled building.

I'm in the process of installing new manifolds/risers/elbows.

The Cylinder Block Drains, there are one on each side of the block, right above the oil pan. Besides using these to drain all water from block if I had to winterize it, do they help with ANY cooling at all???
The connection to them leak all the time, see item #18
10123.gif
image link below.

Can I just cap the engine where #8 is connected with an NTP cap? and cap the hoses on section #9?

Thank you

we boat in north florida, and do not get much of freezing. Boat is stored indoors in climate controlled building.

I'm in the process of installing new manifolds/risers/elbows.

The Cylinder Block Drains, there are one on each side of the block, right above the oil pan. Besides using these to drain all water from block if I had to winterize it, do they help with ANY cooling at all???
The connection to them leak all the time, see item #18
10123.gif
image link below.

Can I just cap the engine where #8 is connected with an NTP cap? and cap the hoses on section #9?

Thank you
They are just to drain you can remove them and use a 1/4” pipe plug in block. Some guys remove them beacuse this single point drain system can clogg with sand and debris and not drain properly.

They are just to drain you can remove them and use a 1/4” pipe plug in block. Some guys remove them beacuse this single point drain system can clogg with sand and debris and not drain properly.
Thank you
I think I'll just plug them as you suggested

Thank you
I think I'll just plug them as you suggested

If you do that, you'll want to remove them occasionally, to remove the debris that collects at the low areas of the block- if it isn't removed, you'll have cooling problems that are hard to cure. If you ever move through a sandy or silty area and kick up a bunch of this stuff, it can be drawn into teh engine and it doesn't just pass through. If you have a closed cooling system, it's different but it should be flushed occasionally, anyway.

Back