Logo

CSM roof exposed with no resin for years, how to laminate additional layers?

hanktruck

Hi all, first post here, feel free to shame me for posting in the wrong section (forum altogether lol), but you boat guys seem to know more about fiberglass than anyone else.

I have a box truck with a fiberglass roof, and small leaks have developed in places, just drips here and there. The roof is composed of a sturdy fiberglass around the perimeter of 2.5ish feet, and the center 2ft x 5ft section is a very thin layer of chopped strand mat, with NO signs of resin at all applied to the top.

My goal is to prevent leaks through this area by stripping the whole roof with some kind of stripping pad/steel brush/sandpaper, and applying a new coating to the sturdy perimeter, and reinforcing the CSM with an additional layer or two.

My fear is that new layers may not adhere properly to the exposed CSM that has lived years getting dirty and weathered, and that aggressive cleaning may be too much for it and it could be destroyed or horribly frayed. Please see attached pic and advise. I can add additional ones if needed. Thank you!

If the CSM is as you described, I don't think you'll ever get it cleaned well and likely have issues with getting it to bond well to anything.

I'd be incline to cut it out and then bond in a new panel by feathering (scarfing) the overlaps...once done, a good coat of paint to protect it from the UV and other junk should give years of service...

Back