Logo

Crusader 454 gas engine

Bill Olsen

I have a 1998 Silverton 372 with Crusader 454 gas engines. Recently the starboard engine loses rpms after 1. 5 hours running at 3k rpms. Loss continues and stops.

Any advice regarding this problem. I have had extensive work done but problem continues. Runs ok for a time than shuts down. After a half hour it will start up and run ok for another 1.5 hours or so

Thanks for any suggestions

I'd be inclined to think there is some sediment in the STBD tank that is collecting on the screen at the bottom of the pickup tube...as the boat moves, it gets stirred up...and as the engine runs, it starts to collect on the screen...shut it off, and the sediment drops off the screen.

Very hard to verify due to the dynamics involved...if you have a vacuum gauge, you can usually plumb it in on the suction side of the fuel pump. Any vacuum that exceeds 5 in Hg is too much...

Also check the vent line. It's possible that mud wasps or something has blocked the vent and the engine is pulling vacuum in the tank to the point that the fuel pump can't draw any more. Dunno just a whacky theory.

I'd be inclined to think there is some sediment in the STBD tank that is collecting on the screen at the bottom of the pickup tube...as the boat moves, it gets stirred up...and as the engine runs, it starts to collect on the screen...shut it off, and the sediment drops off the screen.

Very hard to verify due to the dynamics involved...if you have a vacuum gauge, you can usually plumb it in on the suction side of the fuel pump. Any vacuum that exceeds 5 in Hg is too much...
Thanks. I will check as you suggested

Had the same presentation. Turned out to be the oil pressure switch that powers the electric fuel pump. After an hour or so the supply voltage to the fuel pump would drop from 12+ volts to aroiund 4 volts and the rpms would drop to little more than idle. Newe switch fixed the problem.

Back