Logo

crank seals 1996 30 HP Johnson

bulletbob

Hoping someone has a way to get me the OEM part #'s for both crank seals .. I bought an aftermarket gasket set complete with crank seals, and the lower seal is all rubber, no metal body like the OEM, and wants to "squeeze out" of its bore, turn sideways in the bore Impossible to get it going it straight, keeps squeezing sideways,, its doing all sorts of weird stuff, and i don't trust it a bit, even though I eventually got it "glued in" straight.. The upper seal is worse.. It went in uneventfully, looks 100% correct, just like the OEM, but after the engine was fully assembled, I turned the crankshaft and the entire seal was spinning along with the crank snout!.. I used Aviation form a gasket on the install, but even if I used grease it should not be spinning with the crank..
I don't know, maybe i got some oil in the seal bore by accident , but I was 100 % meticulous keeping everything clean and dry.., Of course there was assembly oil on the crank/bearings/pistons/bores etc, so that may have been a factor, but in my many decades of working on engines, I have even put grease or oil on seals to get them installed, and they were fine.. In any case, this engine is not going anywhere until these seals are gone, both of them. They were made by KOK which makes seals for all kinds of applications and is a big company, but I'm now spooked, and want to see if I can find NOS OEM seals rather than aftermarket.. I don't have a model #, as the tag has been missing for years, but its a plain old 96 30 HP, and I doubt there is any variation in the crank seals...[I hope],, anyway, any help is greatly appreciated... bob

That is the correct seal as it was changed and you will need the tool to install it correctly. Also its installed dry

That is the correct seal as it was changed and you will need the tool to install it correctly. Also its installed dry..
ok, I thought that might be the case, and did get it in but with a lot of manhandling.. I did originally install it with sealer as per the manual, and should not have.. Thats the lower seal, and it is in place now,,,, i will pull the housing to make sure its right

Back