Logo

Cowling fix

MasonArk223

Anyone have any advice on fiberglass repair where the weatherstrip usually goes? Around that thin bottom layer on my cowling the fiberglass has a started to strand and pull out. It appears the staples that used to hold the weather strip in have pulled completely out and left loose fibers all over the place.

Very simple, I’ve done my fair share of damage to catamarans. Without seeing a phot of the damage, I’m going from what I think it looks like.
Simply sand off the loose material with 220 grit paper. Blow off the sanding dust. If the repair was going to be in the water, I’d use something like West epoxy system. However, for above water use, the cheapest is go to Canadian Tire, maybe Harbour Freight in the US, & buy a tin of fibreglass repair stuff. Alternatively, if you have shop that does glass repair, ask if you can buy a couple ounces of resin,& a few drops of catalyst. Mix it according to directions, & paint it over the damaged area. Once cured, sand back to original dimension, & re-attach the weatherstrip.

Back