Logo

Coupler Question

Ryanscolo

Its a long story how I got to this point but some of you know what happened from my post of 17 Oct. I pulled my engine coupler off and the splines were completely gone...it was rubbed smooth. The gears on the shaft are okay. I didnt grease the splines of the coupler when I installed the engine lasttime, could that be why the splines completely sheared off, there was a powdery substance around the coupler and flywheel? Also, a new coupler on marineengine.com is 500 bucks....I found a used on from Marine engine salvage for 95 bucks, that inscludes shipping, he sent me a pick....looks alittle rustes but the splines are there...any advice?

Ryan

i bought a used one off ebay 4 years now no problem . Just make sure it has the same number of teeth as the number of splines on your shaft.

The coupler is supposed to fail before anything else. Get a spare in addition to the replacement.

While it isn't exactly an on-the-water fix, I keep one on board anyway so I know where it is. I suppose if I were far away from shore and could not get a tow and I had no other choice...I probably could get the engine moved forward enough to replace it as long as there was no weather and seas. I'd use my anchor windlass as a come along.

Last edited:
I wouldn't attempt to change it on the water, i would not remove the stringer drive no need to .

But i had to beat on mine to get it off.

But 25 years + you think your going to need another one ? Not me.

Back