Logo

Correction: Shimming vertical shaft tapered roller bearing race

tedm2

Contributing Member
I am replaceing my 290 SP with a DuoProp and understand that I need to achive a negative/neutral load on the vertical shaft tapered roller bearing race.
My A measurement is .316 and my B measurement = .313. If I understand past posts correctly this leaves a .003 POSITIVE load on the taperered roller bearing which is greater than the recommended tolerance
Is there a remedy or do I just seal up as is and everything should be okay?​

NO... I'd certainly not button it up and expect that all be OK.... it won't be!

A = the profile of the race above the lower unit housing when held firmly in position on the roller cage.
B = the depth of the bore within the Intermediate housing.

The A dimension of .316" sounds like it's a bit strong from what I'm used to seeing.

The Volvo Penta tool should actually be used to hold the bearing race firmly onto the roller cage while the vertical shaft is being held fully down.
These need to be gently tapped on as well.
If you are doing this by hand, you'll want to take about 8 or 9 readings.

Although a long shot......., it's possible that your A dimension is off by way of an incorrect spacer being underneath the roller cage.

I did tap the race down on the race but I did not tap the vertical shaft. I will try that and measure it again this weekend to see if changes
Thanks for the info

After turning the prop shaft a dozen times and tapping down on the vertical shaft, I now have an A measurement of .306. I have 2 shims that will total .007
I should be good with this??

Back