Logo

Converting heat exchanger from stern to aft position on the 2004 Captain's Choice 5.7

oldshore

Contributing Member
I have a 2004 (approx) 5.7l Captains Choice which came out of an inboard boat. The heat exchanger is mounted on the rear of the engine. How much trouble would it be to mount in on the front of the motor?
Did Crusader offer this motor in a configuration for an i/o intallation or do I have to customize a bracket, hoses, etc. I am aware I will need a new starter motor mounted on the other side of the flywheel cover.
Any information would be helpful.
Thank you
Jay

For this to work in a Merc I/O scenario, the H/E will need to be ported correctly for sea water inlet/outlet, and on the coolant supply/return sides.
Also the T-stat housing will need to accommodate this arrangement.

Are you doing a "half" system, or a "full" system?

Look up Mercruiser cooling systems. You should be able to find quite a few schematics on line.

As you have figured, you'll need to fab custom hardware to mount the Crusader supplied HX to the front of the engine.

For an idea of what you'll need, look up a Mercruiser FWC conversion kit for a 2004+/- 5.7l...brackets done and molded hoses, ready to go (turnkey), may be appealing depending upon your budget...if not, the manual inthe kit will get you a list of parts.

Yes on the need for a block mount starter..You'll also need a coupler to replace the flexplate...as well as the sterndrive's flywheel cover (rear mounts).

Might be easier to sell the Crusader motor and buy a Mercruiser motor. I probably will be doing just that.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Back