Logo

Control Wont go into Forward Gear - But will go in reverse

Treetime

Heres the issue. I fished all day no problems. Tied up at the dock to load. Cranked the motor went to put it in forward and the lever wont move. Put it in reverse to tie back up to the dock and it goes in reverse perfectly. Checked all the linkages and they seem to be solid. is there a part or something in the control box that could have broke to get in the way of the forward gear lever? I tried reverse numerous times and worked every time it just wont go into forward. By wont go into forward I mean I pull the release button and the lever wont even move forward. It will go in reverse every time. But if you are in neutral the lever will not go forward.

Motor is a 1993 Yamaha 40 HP 2troke.

Last edited:
Heres the issue. I fished all day no problems. Tied up at the dock to load. Cranked the motor went to put it in forward and the lever wont move. Put it in reverse to tie back up to the dock and it goes in reverse perfectly. Checked all the linkages and they seem to be solid. is there a part or something in the control box that could have broke to get in the way of the forward gear lever? I tried reverse numerous times and worked every time it just wont go into forward. By wont go into forward I mean I pull the release button and the lever wont even move forward. It will go in reverse every time. But if you are in neutral the lever will not go forward.

Motor is a 1993 Yamaha 40 HP 2troke.

Process of elimination I have narrowed it down to the foot. If I take everything loose it will engage all the way to the linkage adjustment above the foot. Take the foot off and it will go in neutral and reverse but in forward it only makes clicking noises but don't engage. Controls are back to working properly though. Now to figure out whats wrong with this foot.

Disconnect control cable at engine and see if you can do it manually,if it shifts then,everything points to the control box

i have the sane problem only it won't go into reverse....hello every one I'm new just sign up tonight...i have an old Yamaha 1985 4 stroke 9.9 hp....just order a manual..so i hope that corrects some of the problems. thanks Mark

UPDATE: Who knows? Took it all the way down and back together still wouldn't work. Took it to the repair shop. He tore it down replaced the impeller and foot oil for regular servicing. Put everything back together and now it works fine.....?????? Cant explain it. Mechanic cant either. Guess we will see what happens from here.

By wont go into forward I mean I pull the release button and the lever wont even move forward. It will go in reverse every time. But if you are in neutral the lever will not go forward.

If your control has the push or pull neutral throttle control, and you engage this and the throttle lever does not move forward....this would exclude the lower unit as being the problem. The neutral control button/lever when engaged merely opens or closes the carb intake valves.

The oil servicing of the lower unit would not be what "fixed" the issue. If lack of lubrication was the issue then the reverse gear would also not engage. And of course the water pump has nothing to do with what the control box is doing. So sounds like the issue isn't solved, just hiding. It's pretty simple to open up the control box. Start with the lever. Inside the lever is where the T/T wiring wraps around the base of the lever before it ducks into the control. If somehow the wires wedged under the lever it would prevent the throttle lever from moving.

Back