Logo

connecting jumper to bypass NSS

jimmycream

Hello all.....glad to meet you folks . Ive learned a lot researching here , so first off.....thanks .

My outboard is an '86 25 hp Evinrude . It sat for about 6 years , so I did the following to prepare for up-coming season .........rebuilt water pump , rebuilt and cleaned carb , rebuilt fuel pump , and re-sealed lower unit . I bought a new head gasket , but I might not replace that unless necessary . Lower unit lube was clean when I drained it ; currently not vac/pressure tested . Cold compression was at 105 both cylinders .....pre re-builds .

Heres the problem . during carb work , I mistakenly backed out the full spark advance screw . didnt catch the mistake quick enough , so no idea where it was set at . according to OMC manual , I need a test prop in order to reset the spark advance ; cannot locate the test prop . the motor will start , but runs poorly and a large amount of un-burned fuel passes thru exhaust....evident by lots of oil in the test tank .

Im preparing to use Reeve's method to reset the spark advance , but one thing Im not clear on is using a starter/jumper switch to by-pass the nuetral-safety-switch . I know one lead attaches to the positive lead/from battery at starter-solenoid.....but not sure which of the 3/8 terminals gets the other lead . Im concerned about frying a component if I do it wrong , so I dont want to guess . each 3/8 terminal has yellow/red wires , one coming from starter switch....the other coming from NSS .

I really want to complete this myself . nothing to do with not having to pay a Tech....I just get a ton of satisfaction from learning and doing it myself . So a little guidance would be greatly appreciated .

Back