Logo

Cold Weather Starting

jessily

I have a 1988 90 HP Mariner &

I have a 1988 90 HP Mariner (oil injected) that I just bought. It runs fine (good compression etc.) but the first start of the day is tough and takes a few minutes especially in the colder weather of late. Once I get it started it idles nicely and subsequent starts are one turn of the key in neutral.

Any advice on what to check?

Thank you

" Jessily,

You proba

" Jessily,

You probably are allready, but on most outboards, it's going to take choke and some degree of the warm up lever to get it running; in the cold weather, it's going to take a little extra. Also, just to be complete, be sure you are pumping the primer bulb until it gets hard - forgetting this can also make cold starting more difficult. If it takes a couple tries and a minute to start, this is pretty normal - if it's taking 5-10 tries over 3 minutes, it sounds like it could use a little help. Usually an engine that is running a little lean on the low speed jet will be difficult to start cold - engines like a rich mix when cold. Try turning out (conter-clockwise) the low speed jet adjustment screw 1/4 of a turn and see how it goes. Marking it's previous setting might not be a bad idea, if it doesn't perform correctly like this, you'll be able to quickly put it back to the original setting.

One thing to note: A clogged carb can also lead to a lean condition, and cause hard starting, but it doesn't sound like the case as the engine runs perfectly when cold.

Jon "

" Thanks Jon,

I will try ad

" Thanks Jon,

I will try adjusting the mix again as it did get a little better with the adjustment as prescribed in the manual. It is more like the 5-10 over 3 minutes than a minute. Once I get it started (I am just running it in the yard with the hose right now)it runs fine through all idle speeds and never chokes out.

You may be right in that it is just the fun of starting an older outboard in 40 degree weather (due to a career interuption I have downsized from a nice newer inboard boat to this one so I am little rusty with older outboards)!

I am heading South (NC) in a week to fish so I trying to cover all the bases.

thanks again. "

I have been pushing the key i

I have been pushing the key in and even tried manually using the enricher.

" Jessily,

I have a 1991 Me

" Jessily,

I have a 1991 Merc 90 h.p. that I think is similar to yours. It's got a weirdness that may be similar to yours.

First start of the day, I've learned that it likes primer (key on and pushed in) for a few seconds before cranking, and held well cranking. It doesn't like high idle. Just the littlest amount above nuetral is good, but any more and it doesn't start. It's like the open throttle leans out the mixture too much. Once it starts, slowly increasing high idle to a couple thousand RPM is good, as is pushing the key in a few times as it stutters.

Like your's once it's started, it's great for the rest of the day.

Good luck, "

" Ron,

You are a genius! Tr

" Ron,

You are a genius! Tried your method and second crank she was up and running!

Thank you,

Ken "

Back