Logo

cold start

The bass turd

I have a 1989 70 hp Evinrude with vro. It won't start from cold unless you manually flip the primer solenoid up. The electric choke clicks and ohms out at book specs, but won't start engine. i have rebuilt the cars, checked all lines and hoses,and primer bulb is new. once engine is hot it will start in less than three revolutions and runs perfect. but after fishing for awhile it won't restart without removing cowl and manualy choking solenoid. any ideas on what to try? thanks.

Are you sure the choke solenoid is hooked up correct it should pull the butterfly closed is there a link missing.

Everything appears to be correct by the way it came apart and by the manual I have for this engine says it should be. There is no linkage from solenoid just 1 power wire from key switch 1 ground wire and 3 hoses.

All I can hear is the solenoid click. I purchaced a new gasket and valve for solenoid yesterday with the injector valve for engine tuner and fogging oil to see if i could flush that side of fuel system due to no fuel sound at carbs. I will install it tomorrow. as for sync and timing I an new to boat engines and will take it to locals marine shop to have it done, they are the only ones in town and can get real expensive real quick. so I am trying to get it as close to right as i can before taking it to the shop. So your help is appreciated!!

The primer only works when there is pressure on it.That pressure comes from the manual fuel pump ( primer bulb ) or from the engine pump when it is cranking.-----------Push the key in when the engine is running as a test.-----The motor should slow down with the extra fuel and smooth out once that is burned off.

THANKS for the help raceone and kimcrwbr !! The timing and syns were right, and I installed the new parts in the primer solenoid with the valve in the head for fog oil and engine tune and all is right with the world. The engine starts great. sorry it took so long to reply but work got in the way of fun. Hope I may be able to help you both sometime. Untill then it's time to fish!

Back