My coil reads
Primary 1.1
Secondary 3800

Is that a good coil.
I have a new coil that reads
Primary 1.9
Secondary 6800
Trying to decide to put new one on or not

I simply install new coils on these or test them with a MERC-O-TRONIC analyzer.-----Ohm testing on these coils is not an exact science.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

Well ----" spark on a plug " means nothing to me.-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more, yes or no?----That is a meaningful test.

Okay. I actually took a video of the spark jumping the 30 gap but can’t figure out how to upload it.
I have new coils and have new plug wires and points for this evinrude
I have it all torn apart now so probably will put it back together with new parts. All that is in the evinrude
I thought if I could verify the range as to weather the coils were good I would use these coils on the Johnson
The coils on the Johnson are reading 12000 on the secondary and 1.1 on the primary
I am just learning and have these 2 motors that are pretty much the same

Sparkplug leads are known to CRACK where they take the 90 degree bend under the magneto plate.----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" on both leads , yes or no ?

I did not test good enough. Spark jumps 30 thousands but that is what my tester was set at. I have it all torn apart now. Probably put it back together with new plug wires coils a points. All that on the Evinrude. I have a 69 Johnson that the coils read 1.1. And 12000
Just trying to find the range of a good coil

Back