Logo

closed cooling

chincoteague

I am new to the forum, just a few questions about a Mercruiser 4.3 v6 sterndrive in my boat I just purchased. The boat has a total of 21 hrs freshwater run time. I will be using this boat in salt water of the coast of NC during the summer months. Is the closed cooling system advisable to have installed, if so do I have to do the thru hull exhaust and have the stern prepared for such application. Thanks, Jeff

I am new to the forum, just a few questions about a Mercruiser 4.3 v6 sterndrive in my boat I just purchased. The boat has a total of 21 hrs freshwater run time. I will be using this boat in salt water of the coast of NC during the summer months. Is the closed cooling system advisable to have installed, if so do I have to do the thru hull exhaust and have the stern prepared for such application. Thanks, Jeff

Generally if you go to closed cooling after use even in fresh water people recommend against it as rust scale etc will clog the heat exchanger. I have no first hand experience so hopefully others will chime in. but at the very least you would need to use a scale remover in the system and descale and clean heat exch a time or two, really depends on how much corrosion/dirt is in there which can be really impossible to get out

On the exhaust no you do not have to go to through hull exhaust. You need to decide if you are doing a full or half kit (includes or does not include the manifolds), if you do a full kit you need block off plates between manifold and riser.

Back