Logo

CLEANING PRIMARY FILTER

lugnutdan

Contributing Member
"I have a pair of 502 xli 1996

"I have a pair of 502 xli 1996,fwc.Imwondering if anyone has had any expirencechanging the primary fuel filter.The one ive got looks like a small saucer or small round disk,ive changed the small one by the throttle body,and the engine water seperator,ive been expirencing loss of power.
She wont get up to speed will go up to 4200 rpm
but wont go past 24 knts,ive changed the other 2 filters,no prop damage that i can see,just had a bottom job,both engiens given elec tune-ups.
that one filter is the only one on each engien i havent serviced,I think these ones can be taken out and cleaned????,and does anyone know if these where cloged would it effect my speed???

**********thanks for any advice*********ive been trying to fix this problem since the end of last summer"

"Danny,

They absolutely can

"Danny,

They absolutely can be your problem. They are serviceable screens which can be removed and cleaned, then reused. Since they are the primary filters, they are the first line of defense and must be kept clean. Good luck getting tho them.

Rick"

"Like I mentioned, the most di

"Like I mentioned, the most difficult part of the job is getting to them. Naturally, one side is easy, the other is difficult. I often find it easier to remove the bracket with the filter, service it, then reinstall it as an assembly.

Carb & Choke cleaner is the easiest product to clean the element with, be sure you clean the housing as well, as particles get trapped in the housing as well as the element. Also be sure to have a catch tray to capture the fuel from the filter and make sure you check for leaks when you're done."

Back