Logo

Chrysler 45 fuel problem

Hello, I just installed my 45hp after lying in garage for a year, It started no problem but is loosing massive amounts of fuel and is running very smokey even though mix is fine, you can see a trail of petrol on the water and used 5 gallon in 15 mins, Checked float which seems to work fine, however primer won't go hard, can anyone help? Thx

Last edited:
Sounds like the carb needs the float set right and the diaphram checked for holes.
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram J

Thanks Jerry, I have taken the carb off and cleaned it out, I have taken the float bowl off and adjusted the float to cut off earlier, the mechanizime seems to work fine when in my hand and blowing thru' the fuel inlet and moving the float by hand. I put it back on the Engine and still getting the same result. I can't see any holes in the float, any idea how to check the float operation while it is on the engine?

Thx

Back