Logo

Chrysler 426 RB

jeiguren

"I have recently purchased a C

"I have recently purchased a Century with a Chrylser 426 Wedge. I am eventually considering modifying the motor to increase HP. I was considering installing Dual-Quad intake manifold. Would I need to install a new camshaft? Would I benefit much HP gain alone, or would I need to increase compression (shave heads)? Also, is there much of a gain using Glenwood Marine Headers?

Joe"

"I have had a 426 Wedge, marin

"I have had a 426 Wedge, marine. I believe the stock power was 290hp. This was, I believe, a pretty conservative value and I think it was at 3800 or 4000 rpm. A more open exhaust and a propeller allowing about 4500 rpm can yield more power. I recently put the Glenwood headers on a 440 and found a good improvement. I think that most of the original cast iron headers get cracked after 40 years of service. I wouldn't go to the dual carbs, unless you own oil wells. Perhaps just update to an Edlebrock carb and new mainifold and make sure the distributor is in good shape. Also, I think there was only one marine cam grind used on the RB engines. What boat are you putting the engine in?
221499.jpg
Glenwood headers

I would put on a set of Edelbr

I would put on a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. I don't think you can raise the compression because of the fuel available. That doesn't look like a marine approved alternator?

Dan

"A note of caution: Using alu

"A note of caution: Using aluminum intakes and heads on Raw Water Cooled motors is a no-no, for rapid corrosion results. The aluminuim intakes you DO see on RWC motors have a flash coating of copper on the walls of all water passages.

Jeff"

"Jeff is coeerct, I forget the

"Jeff is coeerct, I forget there are engines out there without fresh water cooling. That would be an easy conversion if you have it apart anyway.

Dan"

"The photo is 440 cid running

"The photo is 440 cid running in a 1969 Century Arabian. I believe the alternator is correct. I never thought to verify it as I have owned the boat for 15 years. (I will check) By the way, the coil dropping resistor is an open style. (Diddo on my older 426)."

"I mentioned this once before

"I mentioned this once before , we should get a e-mail campaign going to get Glenwood to put together a set of SB headers. The gal there told me they only sell a few dozen of the RB's a year.

There HAS to be a bigger market for 318's."

Back