Logo

Chrysler 340 very slow cranking

stevemiller333

Contributing Member
My motor cranks very slowly when I start it. It has a recent starter and a new battery. It starts up fine but it just cranks slow. Is this normal for this motor type?

like this:

woooooooooooowoooooooooowoooooooooo.....start

vs like on my car:

woowoo....start

First I would check the voltage of the new battery.
Check both your cables for for corrosion and tightness.
Does you install use a starter solenoid?

I would agree... check battery voltage and all cable connections... both Pos and Neg.

Inboard, I assume?
Would this be an old School Bendix style starter motor, or a later version of a HTGR/PMGR motor?

Chrysler autos have used gear reduction starter motors for years. In part, this is why a Chrysler product engine would usually fire up with a low battery, whereas the GM products would not.

Some of the early Chrysler Marine I/B's used a Bendix style starter motor.
Today, we'll find the HTGR/PMGR motors taking their place. (much more efficient)
IMO, if we're going to have a slow cranking starter motor (during low voltage), typically it's going to be with the older Bendix style, or one of the non-gear reduction type starter motors.

If voltage is good, and if cables are good, perhaps post a photo of your starter motor.

Last edited:
All connections good I will post a pic of the starter tomorrow thanks for the help its a really big black starter
If it looks like this, it's an older non-gear reduction Bendix Drive.
images

If it looks like this one, it's a non-gear reduction w/ solenoid lever arm action.
fyVMtP8A

is marine HTGR starter even available for our chryslers??
For the I/B's, I'm fairly certain that it would be available.
This is Crusader, but it may look similar.
CRURA122009.jpg

This one is listed for Chrysler I/B's.
images

These would be for I/B's with aft-facing starter motor.

18-2434_big.jpg

Not familiar with your engine..... Maybe water intrusion into a cylinder from exhaust cooling log seals.:confused::confused:

Does it do it after setting for awhile or all the time (shut down..then restart)??

Maybe worth checking out...a pain, but all of your plugs probably need to be changed anyway :rolleyes:

Its time to make sure you dont have water in the cylinders

Nobodies running these HTg whatevers in there chrysler ,Rick is still selling the reduction gear when Jeff said his have been good for like 30 years ...and mine are also 32 years young

Thanks

greasermonkey

Back