Logo

Chrysler 318 gas mileage.....

jp253

I have a Chrysler 318 4 barrel carb. Was wondering if anyone one what kind of mileage they got. I only have 80 gallons onboard my 73 Silverton and I'm considering an 80 mile trip to Montauk...

I have a Chrysler 318 4 barrel carb. Was wondering if anyone one what kind of mileage they got. I only have 80 gallons onboard my 73 Silverton and I'm considering an 80 mile trip to Montauk...

lol,you should make it if you put another 10 gallons in just to be safe:D

Impossible question to answer without knowing more about the size of the boat, what speed you'll be traveling at, is the 80 miles one direction only...... or round trip? fuel availability once there, etc.

General rule for fuel burn is;
1/3 for going out
1/3 for coming back
1/3 for reserve

80 miles one way. Fuel at destination and Deff fuel stops on the way. Just trying to determine approx fuel costs.

If it helps 10.5 beam 25 ft atleast 7500lb boat

80 miles one way...... 80 gallon fuel capacity.
IMO, you'll need to do at/near/better than 1.5 MPG in order to make this a safe trip.

images

My 318 burns 11 gallons per hour at 3,000 rpm. If you know how fast your boat travels at 3,000 rpm, you can figure out your miles per gallon.

Or, if you have some time on your hands, set your course, and run at 7 knots getting underway at dawn, should get you there by late afternoon with a suprising amount of fuel still aboard.

Back