Logo

Chordman

chordman

Mercruiser Serial No. 5959764 Model 485 4 Cyl 185 H.P. Have milky crankcase oil in pan, indicating anti-freeze in oil. Engine was working fine before it went under water at dock in freshwater lake. I can't believe that a head gasket or intake gasket blew at the same time the boat went under water. How could this happen unless the engine was damaged by a winter freeze? I would assume the engine would have a 50/50 mixin it to protect against a freeze. I don't know because i just was given the boat gratis. What can I do? Do I need to pull the engine? Would be gratefull for some helpful comments. Thank you so much. Curt Taylor.

If it went under water then it may have ingested water thru the carb. Pressure test the cooling system to rule out the coolant circulation pump seal...between the oil and cooling system. Get the oil and filter changed ASAP. Dry out the distributor, starter and everything else. Pull the spark plugs to blow out any water while cranking a dry starter. Get the engine started and change the oil and filter several times until it is void of water.

guyjg, thanks for the comments. I will try this as soon as possible. I just ordered a Repair manual for this engine. iwill let you know how it goes. Thank you so much. Curt.

Back