Logo

checking oil power trim

myunclepapa

I have a 1989 50 horse power Johnson that sounds like it need some oil in the power trim it is slow about coming up it seems to run a little while like it is trying to pick up oil and then it will work fine I just had new seals put in and it started this after I had it worked on it was leaking around the push/pull shaft, called the man and he said to run it up and down a few times and get the air out but this has not helped, the only place I can see to put oil in is on the side and you have to pull the bottom shaft out to get to the plug, is this right or am I looking at it wrong. J50TlCEC G 02326785---------Thanks OTTIS (Have not used it in a while since having it repaired and the man says it is to long a time for him to recheck it with a service charge)

This is not overly complicated---------Look for the plug on the oil reservoir and top it up.--------Should only require a screwdriver to do.

Thats the problem it looks like the fill plug for the reservoir is between the unit and the mount that holds the motor to the boat unless there is another plug that I can't find I will have to pull the bottom shaft that hold the trim to the motor to get to this plug, I just think it should be an easy way to put oil in this unit-----)ttis

Time to visit ----------shop.evinrude.com---------------there you will see what the fill plug looks like.--------------You will only need a screwdriver to top it up.

Thanks for your help here is the way just called the Johnson dealer you have to put something under the engine and take the pressure of the trim remove the bottom shaft swing the bottom of the power trim out away from the motor mount the fill plug is on the left side of the trim unit where the trim motor is mounted why they hide it there I don't know but I know now why the dealer wanted a service charge to check it. Looks like they would have put the fill plug on the back side they had plenty of room and you could get to it with just a screw driver but thanks for help----------OTTIS

Back