Logo

Check this if 1993 Evinrude VE70TLETS bogging / running weak

RickJamesBish

So I had issues with this engine randomly losing power. Sometimes shutting down and restarting fixed it. I went through a carb rebuild and problem persisted. I took it to Ouichita Marine Services in Arkanas and blew $600 on probably $100 worth of work. Still had the same issue. Despite having explained in detail to both mechanics that when the engine bogged down, I could remove a spark plug boot while it was running and it ran exactly the same, they all wanted to look at the carbs.

I ended finding and fixed the issue myself. I had purchased a new powerpack, since I felt the issue was with spark plug ignition. I put the new one in and had the same exact problem. So, I went to remove the new one and looked into the 5 or 6 wire connector on the engine side and noticed one pin was pushed all the way back flush with the back of the boot. On the plug of powerpack side there was a small divot in the rubber right next to where the pin was supposed to line up. The pin was making intermittent connection at the tip. You could not tell the pin was pushed back by looking at the wires coming out of the back of the boot because the boot is deep, and neither wire nor any part of the pin showed. It was only apparent looking inside the plug. Pushed it back through and pulled it out of the hole in the boot. Plugged it in manually by itself, then worked the plug back together. Ran strong immediately and have not had the issue again.

Hopefully this may help someone having similar issues. Check inside that boot to the powerpack and make sure none of the pins have pushed back into the rubber boot.

good catch and sorry to hear the techs didnt know what they were doin you get a lot of that now that everything is goin computer based shame we dont have the techs of yesteryear who could listen to an engine run and give a good idea of what is wrong those guys are few and far between these days. now everyone wants a computer to do the diagnosing for them

Of course, I'm glad I got it figured out, but sure would like that $600 plus back in my pocket. Another thing that made me really mad about Ouichita Marine Service is when I picked the boat up and put it on water that same day and it messed up, I called and they came down to the dock to troubleshoot. Mechanic claimed they had taken it out on the water, tested it and it was doing great then. I knew this was a lie because I had a huge tarp over the boat that was stapped to the trailer with about 16 straps. One end of the tarp was left unhooked so they could access the wheel and throttle. I had propped a piece of PVC under the tarp where it was folded back and under the rest of the tarp was a PVC structure so the tarp formed a dome. The tarp was exactly the same when I picked the boat up, including the PVC propped up out of sight.

Back