Logo

charging voltage on 1991 454

slauder

Regular Contributor
i have a warning light on and the voltage on gage is 12.3. I also have a green light out on dash. its labeled "system charging/energized" or something to that effect. I guess its a slipping belt (i should have checked already but away from boat for a while) or an alternator bad.

1. what are the likely causes?

2. is it causing issues if i run a while like this? thinking I'm pulling from batteries while doing so. i go on trickle change at dock when back.

This is a Tiara 31? In any case, first step is to measure the actual voltage at the engine battery with a portable voltmeter. If running under 13.5 @ 2000rpm, it would be wise to move that voltmeter to the actual alternator, + stud to case. If the regulator is internal, the pulley is not slipping, you pretty much have ID'd the alternator if it's output is low.

Concur w/ DD's assessment.

Assuming it continues to run, it will only impact efficiency continuing operation with low alternator output.

if it is the belt slipping, it could be excess wear due to corrosion on the pulley. could also be as simple as the bolts weren't tightened adequately.

Back