Logo

Cavitation plateWater line

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"Guys quick question, where sh

"Guys quick question, where should the cavitation plate be positioned in relation to the boat on V-hull type of boat???

now once on plane how deep in the water should the Cavitation plate be???"

"General "rule of thumb&#3

"General "rule of thumb", the cav plate should be level with the lowest edge of the transom at the deepest part of the "V" where the motor is mounted.

However, most mfg's provide a chart to installers to determine a more "optimal" location for some of the larger horsepower motors/faster rigs.

To condense it for ya, if the boat will run at speeds upto/including 40 mph, mount it directly in line. For 50 mph you mount 1/2" high and 1" for 55 mph (it's not linear so if you need more than that I can give you an exact figure).

Once on plane trimming "up" until the prop is remaining (just) below the surface will result in top speed while running in a straight line, but you could end up "sucking air" in rough water or in a turn.

(you trim up to reduce drag which will squeak out a tiny bit more speed and save a couple oz of gas each hour - but don't expect "dramatic" results, we are talking about pretty small numbers, often too small to see without the use of electronics to actually measure the difference)

Every rig is a little different so normally it's some "trial and error" on your part to find the sweet spot in the trim where your particular rig is performing to suit your particular needs..."

"[b]" where should the cav

"" where should the cavitation plate be positioned in relation to the boat on V-hull type of boat???"

Ayuh,... Gerenal rule of thumb is Even with the keel line to an inch above...

"now once on plane how deep in the water should the Cavitation plate be???"

If it moves, at ALL,... You've got problems...
It'll Still be at the keel line..."

"true, but I was talking in re

"true, but I was talking in relation to the water line...once on plane, assuming it would not move once on plane..."

"[b]"true, but I was talki

""true, but I was talking in relation to the water line..."

Ayuh,.. That's a question of the Hull,...
Not the driveline used..."

Back