Logo

Carburator float will stick open

Stefano

Hi to everyone.
I have a problem which is puzzling me. I have an AQ211A (GM 305 V8) which works great. The only problem is that, when the motor is sitting for a week or longer, at first start the caburator float always sticks open. I always have to slightly unscrew the air horn, gently tapping on it by hand untill I feel the float moving freely inside, and fix it again. The whole operation doesn't take more than a few minutes, but it still shoudn't be required!
After that I have an all day long troublefree usage.
On a daily base use that doesn't happen.

I have already changed two floats and three or more inlet needles, but to no avail. Evidently the problem doesn't lie there.

Does anyone have experienced anything similar or have a solution to suggest? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Stefano.

there are two issues to check when replacing a float....the float, "level", and the float, "drop", these are two very important settings. many people focus on the float level and stop there. you also have to set the float drop. if the amount of drop is excessive, the float will bind and cause flooding.

(also get in the habit of running your carb dry when you pull the boat out of the water)

not sure what kind of fuel your using?but if its anything that contains ethenol when the float is sticking open check the neddle valve and it's housing"this is the plunger that the float push's up to stop the fuel flow" for any signs of corrosion. if your using fuel with ethenol it can cause corrosion to develop inside the bowl area of your carb.if the neddle valve or its housing have any kind of corrosion on either one it will cause your float to stick open,then when you tap on it and it becomes unstuck the fuel flow in the bowl some what wash's the corrosion away and gives you a temp. fix intill the boat sits again and the corrosion has time to develop again.

Back