Logo

Carb Rebuild Question?

6tring

Contributing Member
I plan on going over a Johnson 1967 6 hp carburetor with a rebuild kit. My question is after reinstalling the low speed adjusting rod how many turns should I bring it out as an initial starting point before starting the motor? Thanks all. :confused:

Make sure you clean the high speed jet in the very bottom of the float bowl.----And the passage from there up to the idle circuit.------These carburetors are very simple and need cleaning if they sat with fuel in them for years.-----What other trouble shooting / repairs were done on the motor ?

I intend to make the motor as reliable as possible. The previous owner said it would not idle down and run right at low speed.

Both cylinders read out spot on at 90#

Plan to change head gasket and thermostat , spark plugs and impellor,

Can tell by exposed gasket edges that they never been changed out. Gear case oil black with no foam or water.

Has good spark but will lift the flywheel for visual inspection of components.

Had fired up in bucket test but I shut it right down. I felt not enough cooling water discharge.

Tightened up tilt bolt and steering tension both very loose, lube all grease fittings. Pressured washed and Polished up, looks like a newer motor.

Back