Logo

carb for chrysler 318

vice

hey.. i have question about carb for chrysler 318. i have two carb and i wounder which is better and information about their cfm..
first one is carter afb carb number on it is 4699s and 2179. another one is rochester quadrajet which was used on omc v6 engine.
what you suggest me to use??

They actually used the Q-jet for the last few years after Carter went belly up. You will hear complaints about the Carter's bogging down even on rebuilds.

I've been kicking around that same idea but that 'GM' thing kinda bugs me.
Nothing sounds like them though.

Jack

Last edited:
hey.. i have question about carb for chrysler 318. i have two carb and i wounder which is better and information about their cfm..
first one is carter afb carb number on it is 4699s and 2179. another one is rochester quadrajet which was used on omc v6 engine.
what you suggest me to use??

Ayuh,.... They're both antiques, 'n no longer fully supported....
'n more cfm's ain't always a Great idea....

The Carter, I believe is a 650cfm, 'n the new Edlebrock 1409 is an up-dated Carter clone,...
The Eldebrock should be a direct replacement, plug, 'n play....

The Quadra-jet is a variable cfm carb, which can flow, Up to 800cfms....

Personally, I'd either rebuild the Carter, or slap on a new Edlebrock copy....

Btw,.... a 318, spinnin' 5000 rpms can only use 'bout 550 cfms, Full Tilt, Screamin'....

Ditto on replacing those dud Carters with Edelbrock 1409 carbs. Better starting, no more backfiring, and better gas mileage to boot. You WILL have to hook up their electric choke system, however, and drill/ tap the body of the carb for your PVC connection (unless your motor has a manifold connection).

Jeff

Back