Logo

Carb/EFI

msdbret

Hello,
I'm a tech with MSD Ignition and am doing a little research in regards to when inboards switched from carburetors to fuel injection. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me either through this forum or through e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks for your time. Bret- MSD Ignition.

Mercruiser came out with the 454 & 502 MPI's in late 1992 for the 93 model year, They also had the 320 EFI in around 1988ish i believe it was.

Is that the information your looking for?

Offshoreonly boating forums would be another good place for someone like you to look around, Them guys use MSD a lot.;)
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/

Last edited:
MSD just released the Atomic EFI for automotive applications (see link below). If the market is there, MSD might expand this product to fit marine applications. Ultimately for now, this is just market research but it could result in actual product at some point in time. We welcome any input that you or anyone else might have on this subject. Thanks again-Bret MSD Ignition
Atomic EFI.com

the 320 EFI was available in 87 (maybe 86). then the big blocks in 93 (Gen V). the small blocks started with the TBI units ~95 and then died soon thereafter being replaced with the MPI setup.

the 320 EFI was available in 87 (maybe 86). then the big blocks in 93 (Gen V). the small blocks started with the TBI units ~95 and then died soon thereafter being replaced with the MPI setup.

Yes, 1986, I worked on a 18 ft Checkmate years ago with a 350 efi 1986, 320 hp alpha one gen I. Old style valve covers (outer edge bolts) and two piece rear main seal.

Bret, welcome aboard!

This may be premature or not even necessary to mention but, (I hate "buts") I know that MDS is big into the Automotive High Performance, I'm sure to the extent that MSD is involved in Marine.
OEM Marine Ignition curves and limits are considerably different for the Marine Gasser compared to the Auto Engine, as I'm sure you are aware.
We can Ignition Induce "detonation" in a Marine Gasser in about 2-3 seconds if the conditions are just right.

Just tossing this into the mix here.

How 'bout posting some Marine related MSD information for us?
What products will be available?
Will these all be EST?
Which style triggering?

Rick

If you install a complete MSD marine ignition say the msd 6 with the msd ***distributor ***,

Then you can custom taylor the advance curve to what you like. It comes with a complete set of instructions (diagrams with advance plots/graphs like merc does), and springs for the mechanical advance. I installed one in a 454 mercriuser bravo 1 a couple years back. Nice unit.

WHat this guy is refering to it looks like to me, is a new all in one fuel injection system/throttle body (looks like a holly carb) with its own ignition and hand held tuner.... That would be sweet!! A marine bolt on efi type system with the ability to tune as needed with a hand held tuner!
The one in the link is for auto motive though...

Bret, will this be square bore only, or will there be a spread bore available?
How about throttle cable connection options? Early carbureted Volvo Pentas use a slightly different attachment method for the 33C cables. Any options here?

What price range will these be in?

My question is about the o2 sensor. How are they gonna make it work and be affordable with wet exhaust. I know it can be done now but it's not what I call cheap, especially if you have older stuff and would have to make mods

We appreciate all the questions and interest but I unfortunately do not have the answers at the moment. This project is still in the very early stages of developement so how or what it will entail is yet to be determined. I can tell you though that it will be based on the Atomic EFI. Your questions are not for nothing as they will all be taken into consideration as this project moves forward. Please keep them coming. Thanks again, Bret- MSD Ignition

OK..... here's another that you may be able to answer at this stage of development.

I'm not particularly fond of EST ignition systems and I don't use these on my personal boat, although these certainly have their place.
Will there be an option for a TBI/EFI system that will function independently of EST engines?

I understand that you're in the developmental stages, but when you have time I'd sure appreciate a response to my "spread bore", "price range" and "EST" questions.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer that. The Atomic EFI has the capabilty to control timing as long as you run an MSD Ignition box with it (connecting to the tach output wire of the MSD). Or you can use it as a "stand alone" fuel controller and run it with something that will control timing the conventional way, for example an MSD ready to run distributor. With a ready to run you can control total timing (stop bushing) and the rate (spring combination) at which timing will come in. At this point, it is impossible to determine what pricing will be.......sorry about that. Thanks, Bret-MSD Ignition

Mercruiser came out with the 454 & 502 MPI's in late 1992 for the 93 model year, They also had the 320 EFI in around 1988ish i believe it was.

Just wondering, I have a 1995 Maxum 2700scr with 7.4L 454 Bravo2 with a carb. Was MPI an option? When did they totally switch to EFI? Thanks

Back