Logo

Carb adjustment or sync

Mankin1

Can anyone tell me how to adjust or sync the carb on my 1980 35hp Evinrude motor? I think that I’ve got an issue once I hit about 1/4 throttle it’s bogging out and just won’t open up

Unless you or someone else have been tinkering with the linkages... it is more likely that the brass high speed jet that is located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way behind the float chamber drain screw plug, is fouled due to age ,sitting, etc.

Clean the ID of that jet with a blunt ended (Not Pointed) piece of single strand steel wire.

The jet can be removed with a special screwdriver (as below) or with a screwdriver that has a shaft that just clears the 1/4x20 threads of the drain screw-plug by cutting the regular end off, then filing/shaping the end as per the following graphic to fit exactly the slot of the jet.

The alternative is to remove the carburetor to do that job properly.
317002_CARB-JET_REM-INST.JPG Ignore the price,long gone!.... I checked... available at this site for $32.75.

Last edited:
I ordered a new jet it is supposed to be in today. I took and filed a screwdriver down hope it will let me remove the old jet. This motor cranks very easy and idles at low speed but about 1/4 throttle it spits and spudders sometimes dies if I don’t back it out fast enough

Another thing I ran the fuel line around the right side of the engine to the fuel pump that way I knew it didn’t kink would that cause any problems

Back