Logo

Can't get impeller to seat flush in housing

noltj

Ok, I pulled my water impeller out of my 8/92 and placed a new one in. everything went fine except the impeller sticks out past the housing approximately a 32nd of an inch.
I've beat this sucker with rubber mallets and then switched to a wood block to get more force with a real hammer. not budging! Could grease from the spline be keeping it from seating further in? I put the cover plate back on a drew it tight without a gasket hoping this would draw it in. The plate was metal against metal when in place. This is my 1st time changing a DD impeller and was wondering if this is normal, with the cover plate in place with a gasket and rubber seal gasket would the clearance be acceptable?

Thanks much,
Jim

First off, I don't think excess force will do you much good and can only cause you more trouble. Tightening the lock nut to the proper torque (35-40lb.ft.) should easily seat the impeller to it's proper depth if everything else is right.

Is there a minimum of 0.015" clearance between the impeller vanes and the housing? If not it could be hanging up on the vanes but you can't see it.

I haven't done one in a while but I don't remember ever having to replace an impeller. I always installed a new seal since the bronze impellers always looked almost new when removed. Was yours badly eroded or damaged? Did you replace the water seal? If you did and didn't get it seated in the cavity, then it could be protruding enough to cause this.

Are you sure you have the right impeller?

I think that if you bought a new impeller with the seal insert already installed, it may be that the insert was installed incorrectly or the wrong dimension insert was used.

That's about all I can think of. Other than that, you should take it back out and look closely for any signs of contact with the housing.

Good luck.

Thanks, I figured it out after talking to my marina's mechanic. The rubber vanes are suppose to protrude slightly so when the face plate is attach they seal strongly against it.

Huh. I've never seen a rubber Detroit Diesel water pump impeller. What will they think of next??! :)

I was posting about the raw water supply pump to the heat exchanger, I just assumed this being a marine forum the rubber impeller would have indicated which pump. Next time ill be more specific.

thanks for your comcern

Back