Logo

Cant find correct shift cable for 5.8l

appel1978

Ok I have purchased 2 times a new lower Shift Cable for my 1990 four winns with a 5.8l cobra Purchase one from Amazon and the other from eBay. Both threads didn't match. I'm getting frustrated because according to all the online parts diagrams the part number is 987661. But both times they didn't have correct threads and the long brass tube on end of threaded end is slightly different length (of that makes a difference). Below is what is in the discription of all these listing.

"This cable may not fit for some late model 5.0L fuel injected engines, for 2.3L OMC Ford engines, 5.7L OMC engines in 1987 or late model 5.8L engines (e.g. the 1993 5.8L).
Those applications may require a special cable"

But they never say what the "special part" number is. And non of the online part sites says anything about a possible other number. Please help.

Ayuh,..... That's one of the problems with a 33 year old boat, with an obsolete motor, from a defunct manufacturer,....

I hear that the red cable is the good one, the black one ain't,.... I know Cobras had cable "Issues",....

I ended up just using a tap and die set and rethreaded the new cable to fit. I really dont see why this wont work. I even put a few wraps of plumbers tape around the threads just for extra caution. and after looking at the two lengths at end they were the same.

Back