Logo

Can reed valve cause 1992 Evinrude te150glenc outboard to starve for fuel?

jaconnett

I've had multiple sporadic issues with the VRO pump over the years with fuel leaks. Rebuilt the VRO twice, totally replaced the VRO with a new one. Repairs don't seem to last. I got tired of dealing with it and replaced the VRO with new regular fuel pumps. New primer bulb will pump up hard. I start the engine and it runs until the fuel in the carb bowls is consumed and the motor dies. If I keep up the fuel pressure by pumping the bulb while it is running, it will continue to run. As soon as I stop, the motor will eventually die as it approaches idle speed since the engine is running fast enough to keep the fuel pumping. I've run the outboard from a separate fuel tank and fresh fuel mixed with oil at 50:1. Fuel filter is clean. Fuel lines are not restricted. I've rebuilt the carbs and ensured all orifices (idle, mid, and high speed) are clean. All carb floats are set according to specs. Throttle plate sync'd, idle timing, spark advance set, and spark/throttle pickup are all set according to specs. All fuel lines are clamped appropriately with cinch rings. If there's a air leak in the fuel system, not sure how to locate it. Pulse limiter valve is clean. Primer solenoid checks out (ohms within specs and both primer outlets are clear. New diaphragm for vapor pump. Vapor separator float set to specs. I do need to replace the vacuum switch. Definitely a fuel issue, but not sure where to go from here. Could it be that the reed valve is failing and causing these symptoms?

Fuel pumps are driven by crankcase pressure pulses.-----So a bad reed valve can be an issue.----Regular fuel pimps do not need the pulse limiter.

Fuel pumps are driven by crankcase pressure pulses.-----So a bad reed valve can be an issue.----Regular fuel pimps do not need the pulse limiter.
Thanks for the info. I examined the reed valves on all cylinders. All look good. There were a couple of check valves on both banks that were clogged. Cleaned those. Put it all back together and started the outboard. Started right off and ran for quite awhile, idled for approx. two minutes, then RPMs dropped quite a bit (approx. 500 RPMs), then died. Checked the primer bulb and it was semi-firm. It used to be very soft. So I see that as a positive change indicating fuel is being pulled in.

I'm out of ideas at this point.

Look into issues with crankcase compression.-----It is crankcase compression that drives the fuel pump.---Checked carburetor bowls for warpage ?

I just had the problem you describe with my 94 140. I replaced the VRO pump with a regular one and that same issue resulted. I hooked my pulse hose to the inlet on the pump, but found that the pump that I purchased had a pulse hole in the back of it as well that I didn't know was there. I plugged that hole with a solid gasket between the two holes and solved the starvation issue. However, I don't know the pump setup on your particular motor.

I assume he means the Vapor Separator. As it turns out, the Vapor Separator was defective and had to be replaced. Engine runs great now.

Back