Logo

Can a worn idle needle cause bogging down?

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Working on a 1988 Evinrude 30hp motor. Well actually it’s a 20hp converted to 30hp. I finally got it on the water yesterday and here’s what happened.
1) I told my family I just needed 5min to adjust the idle setting. Then I proceeded to do what normally does the trick. Start at 1.5turns out, go CCW until motor starts to sputter, then 1/8t at a time CW until past the point where the idle increases. Then back 1/4t. Problem is that the motor never really reacted like I was expecting. When I turned CCW, yes it eventually started to misbehave. When turning CW I never go to the tell tale point where the idle increases. I just kept turning until motor just stopped (that was with just over a turn left). I adjusted sphere anyway and kept motoring.

I had a heck of a time starting the motor later in the journey. So I started over. To get the motor started I had to be waaaay out, like 3 full turns of the needle. It still idled ok but both my son and I were thinking that it was running pretty rich.

So then we finally got to a spot in the river where we were able to give ‘er. It topped out at about 8kph :-(

We have a week to go before a fishing trip and I need to make sure I get this issue nailed. So, here’s my question: I pulled the needle out of the 30hp carb and compared it to the needle in my 20hp carb. They are supposed to be the same part according to good old Marineengine.com. However, I think the 30hp needle tip is worn. I have not had a chance to try the motor with the other needle and may not be able to except in bucket but never mind that. Do you guys think a worn needle could cause all the symptoms I just described? I.e. inability to adjust low speed idle, needing to keep needle out about 3 turns to run/start, bogging down at throttle?

Oh, racerone: compression is 135hp across the board. Below is a pic of needles side by side. The brass one is the one that was in there when symptoms were taking place.
7C11C0AF-FA1E-4ED2-8B87-6488D41F94EE.jpeg

Carburetion overthinking here !!-----Your maximum 8 KPH and bogging has nothing to do with the low speed mixture needle.-----Your motor needs 4 things.-----Fuel ( one carburetor.-----Crankcase compression ( 2 crankcases ) ----Cylinder compression ( 2 cylinders ) ----Spark at the right time ( 2 cylinders , 2 coils )---I say it all the time.----It should be easy to determine where the issue is.---Or do some trouble shooting to find the real issue.-----Perhaps it is running on just 1 cylinder.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to be monkeying with that idle needle all the time. Rarely does it need to be reset.

Pretty safe bet it is running on one cylinder. I'd try a couple of spark plugs first. Easy and can't hurt.

Riiiiight “idle” curcuit manages IDLE!!! Of course. OK, well after being reminded of the basics I went back out and tested for spark in both cylinders this morning. Only getting spark on #1. I swear I was getting spark on both yesterday. Plugs are fine (swapped them and got spark on both). Secondary leads are fine, I swapped them and got spark. Gonna grab two coils and see how I do.

Back