Logo

Cam reinstallion issue on 3.0 140HP

saint056

I have a 1984 Mercruiser that I have rebuilt, an am just getting ready to install the cam and whamo... no dot on the cam gear! How is it to be reinstalled If I can't get the dots aligned? I've never seen this in auto engines. I know I can go by the lobes to get close, but one tooth off of the exact place can advance/retard timing at the cam! Anyone run into this? If so, how the hell did you get installed properly? (This is the last time I don't mark these gears on the breakdown)​

they all had marks when new - is this the original fiber gear? or a replacement?
camm.jpg

Thanks Hystat! My Seloc manual doesn't have this information. This is the origional fiber gear. That's why I was so suprised. So, I'm assuming (without a description of the picture from that manual) that it is inline with the cam gear access holes with the key down (in the pic).

I wish I had one here to verify that, but I do find those line drawings are typically accurate with respect to hole and bolt positions as shown.

It should help you find a point or triangle with a magnifying glass or some evidence of a mark. There was a mark originally.

Back