Logo

Calcium Buildup on Mercruiser Outdrive

swamprat

"Gentlemen,
I have excessive

"Gentlemen,
I have excessive calcuim buildup on my outdrive. How do I get rid of it and what can I do to prevent it happening again?"

Is it all over or localized?

Is it all over or localized?

Fresh or salt water?

Trailered or slipped?

What makes you think it is calcium?

It is all over the drive.
Boa

It is all over the drive.
Boat was slipped in fresh water.
The surveyor told me it is calcium.
I just bought this boat last week.

"That's a new one on me...

"That's a new one on me....all my time has been in the briney stuff.

did the surveyor offer anything more?

Could have precipitated from the water...could be galvanic but not likely due to fresh water. Did you check with any of the old dock neighbors to see if they are familiar?

You could also try the Mercruiser board on this site....plenty of fresh water operaters there, too."

"That is strange. I would susp

"That is strange. I would suspect this boat has either been in salt water at one time or the other and not properly cleaned, OR there was a manufacturers flaw in the initial powder coating process. The typical cure for excessive calcium build up is either straight vinegar or for a stronger brew - a 10% solution of muriatic acid with water. After the muriatic acid has desolved the calcium, thoroughly wash it off of the surface because it will also attack any bare metal. After cleaning off the calcium, closly inspect all the surface and use very fine steel wool to smooth out any lumps or cracks.

At this point, then you should consider re-coating the outdrive. If it is in good shape, consider some sort of polymer clear coating specific for marine environments. Alternatively, consider repainting with anti-fouling metal paint. There are folks on this forum who can give you some good advice on marine metal coatings. I'm not one of them."

did the surveyor offer anythin

did the surveyor offer anything more?

No nothing useable. I will try the Mercruiser site.

Thanks for the replies.

Back