Logo

bypassing NSS with jumper/starter switch

jimmycream

Hello . Ive done much research at this site , so thanks to all .

My outboard is an '86 25 hp Evinrude . It sat un-used for about 6 years , so to prepare it for use for this up-coming season I rebuilt the water pump and fuel pump , cleaned and rebuilt the carb , and re-sealed the lower unit . Ive got a head gasket on hand , but not sure whether Im going to switch that out unless its necessary . Lower unit not vac/pressure tested , but shows no sign of leakage in test tank . compression is at 105 , both cylinders . Engine will start , but runs poorly , spewing large amounts of un-burned fuel thru the exhaust .

While removing the starter , I mistakenly backed out the spark advance set screw ( I bet some of you saw that coming , right ? :eek:) . I didnt catch the mistake in time , so I have no idea where it was originally . As per OMC manual , I need a test prop to reset the spark advance.......but I cant find one . Possibly one is available thru a dealer ; but moneywise I would be better off taking the unit to a mechanic vs buying a test prop from a dealer . I got nothing against mechanics , but I would prefer to finish the project myself .

So......Im preparing to use J Reeves' method to reset the spark advance . One thing I cant figure out is setting up a jumper/starter switch to bypass the neutral safety switch . I know that one jumper lead connects at the starter solenoid , where the battery lead connects . The other lead connects at one of the 3/8 terminals , but I cant figure out which terminal ( electrical theory/logic isn't my strongest skill set...haha ) . One of the terminals connects to the start switch , the other connects to the neutral safety switch.......which terminal gets the other jumper lead ?

Also , Im pretty sure I dont have the fast-start feature , but not 100% on that one . how do I know for sure ?

Back