Logo

Bypass tube on bf100

Daveid01

Hi there,
I bought a used 1983 Honda 10hp and the first time out, it seems to have overheated as it was peeing intermittently and didn't realize the problem u til half way across the lake. Anyways, I replaced the thermostat and when I did, I noticed that I need a new bypass one to the thermostat cover. Everywhere I look, the part is discontinued. Is there a way to male my own or so.ethi g you guys would recommend?

Thanks

Well, you're going to have to get creative and wing it on that one.

If you have what's left of the old one,, you might get a friendly parts guy at the local Napa store to find a close enough match.

Othee than that I would try using two pieces of bulk hose and use a 45° or 90° brass fitting set up, with nipples, placed somewhere near the curve end to achieve the bend needed to get a decent fit.

I hate molded hoses for that very reason but you just can't get around them sometimes.

The real pissah (pun intended) is that Honda doesn't even provide a replacement bypass hose for the late "A" model 8 hp.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have most of the old one but part of it brok off. I was thinking the same thing on some hose and a barb fitting with a 90 but wasn't sure if anyone else has had experience with this yet. I just need to get it running to see what if any damage was done before going too crazy. Haha. Tha ks again, sound like that's my best route to go.

Brandon hose....that's a new one ;~)
As in....Brandon HOSED us???:ROFLMAO:

Spring steel inside a closed cooling system to provide hose support and shape works great, that's for sure.

But, it's got a lot to do with the fact most closed systems have antifreeze in them and most antifreeze contains a good dose of RUST inhibitors and lubricant.

Raw water systems do not and the only protection for that slender coil would be whatever anode might be on board. And that anode, if there is one, is not likely to be placed where it could be of much help at all.

I would NOT recommend placing springs in raw water cooling system hoses other than a direct OEM replacement.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Back